Wednesday 25 February 2015
Mullighan: “I haven’t seen those figures”
In an embarrassing revelation in Parliament yesterday, Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan revealed he had not seen transport patronage figures from his own department.
Earlier this week, Minister Mullighan lauded the success of the Noarlunga line by revealing that 4.18 million passengers have used the line since February 23 last year.
However, the Rail Commissioner’s 2010-2011 Annual Report reveals that the number of passengers using the Noarlunga Line in 2009-10 was 4,290,277.
When questioned about the Rail Commissioner’s report, Minister Mullighan told Parliament:
“I haven’t seen those figures…”
“110,000 fewer passengers are travelling on the Noarlunga line now compared to five years ago despite the Weatherill Labor Government spending more than half a billion dollars on upgrades and extensions,” said Shadow Transport Minister Corey Wingard.
“It is embarrassing that Minister Mullighan hastily lauded the success of the Noarlunga line in the media without knowing that passenger numbers are in fact down compared to five years ago!
“It is even more embarrassing for Minister Mullighan to admit that he had not seen figures from previous years produced by his own department.
“Minister Mullighan must now explain why there are 110,000 fewer passengers on the Noarlunga line compared to five years ago and why South Australians are seemingly turning away from public transport under the Weatherill Labor Government’s management.”