With the run of hot weather we’ve been having please make sure you look out for your neighbours, family and friends - especially the elderly or unwell.
A phone call or a knock at the door to make sure they are OK and set up to handle the extreme heat is really appreciated.
The Red Cross have some key tips for keeping cool in hot weather:
- Stay indoors: keep out of the heat if you can.
- If you need to go outside, wear light clothing and a hat, put on sunscreen and take water with you.
- Do daily activities like shopping and gardening early in the day or ask someone to help you.
- Draw blinds early in the day.
- Check that your fan or air-conditioner works well. Have it serviced if necessary.
- Turn your air-conditioner on before the room heats up
- Take cool showers and splash yourself several times a day with cold water, or use a damp cloth.
- Go to an air-conditioned building in your local area to cool off: a shopping mall, community centre, library or swimming pool.
If you have concerns please contact the Red Cross for assistance on 1800 188 071 and in a emergency call 000 for an ambulance or assistance.
Stay cool and keep a look out for one and other.