As most of you would know, things have been busy lately as the Government handed down the 2018 budget. It was always going to be a tough job, but I am pleased to say we have delivered a budget which is focused on delivering more jobs, lower costs and better services to South Australians.
There was also good news for our local community, with funds being allocated for a variety of services and upgrades in Gibson and neighbouring electorates.
State Budget 2018/19
In addition to the government’s promise to lower the cost of living for South Australians, here in Gibson we can look forward to:
- the installation of a safer pedestrian crossing outside Brighton Surf Lifesaving Club
- the establishment of a Community Garden at Stella Maris Parish School
- upgrades to both the Crown Street Reserve, Dover Gardens and Hamilton Avenue Reserve, Warradale
- extended Police Station hours at Glenelg Police Station
- continued funding for MarionLIFE Community Services
- funding of $2m for an upgrade to the Brighton Sports Complex
- developing a business case for a Majors Road off-ramp on the Southern Expressway for easier access by residents of Sheidow Park and Trott Park
- the establishment of the Glenthorne National Park, combining the O’Halloran Hill Recreation Park, Hallett Cove and Marino Conservation Parks, the Happy Valley Reservoir, Field Valley River and Glenthorne Farm. For more information, head to www.glenthorne.com.au
It has been an exciting last couple of weeks in our electorate.
I would like to congratulate the Marion Football Club on becoming the Division 7 Adelaide Footy League 2018 Premiers! In what has been a rough couple of years for the Rams, I can’t image a better way to end an 18-year premiership drought. Congratulations to the players and everyone at the club. Go you Rams!
Congratulations also go to the Brighton Secondary School students who have just become World Champions! Over the last week, these students have been competing at the F1 in Schools World Finals in Singapore, where they also won awards for the Fastest Car, Best Engineered Car and Best Research and Development. I am lucky to have met these students and proud to see their hard work and dedication has paid off. I wish them all the best of luck and who knows what they will achieve next!
Crown Street Reserve
I recently delivered $40,000 in funding to the City of Marion to establish a 3 on 3 basketball court at Crown Street Reserve, Dover Gardens. The Council is now seeking input from the community about what other improvements people would like to see at the Reserve.
To have your say on what else you would like to see at Crown Street Reserve, go to www.makingmarion.com.au/crown-street-reserve. Consultation closes on 17 September 2018.
Oaklands Crossing: October Long Weekend Night Works
Please note that from midnight, Friday 28 September through until 6.00am, Tuesday 2 October, major works will be undertaken as part of the Oaklands Crossing Project.
Due to these works, there will be a partial closure of the Seaford line between 5.00am, Saturday 29 September and 5.00am, Tuesday 2 October. Substitute buses will run between Adelaide and Brighton, and trains between Brighton and Seaford.
For further information, visit the Adelaide Metro website at www.adelaidemetro.com.au.
Seniors Forum: Moving Right Along
Thank you to everyone who noticed the incorrect date printed in the invites for my upcoming Seniors Forum. All seats are now filled!
My Office Manager has promised not to play “spot the error” next time, but on the flip side has enjoyed speaking with the wonderful (and forgiving) seniors in our local community.
We have had such a great response to this topic and look forward to hosting this, and many other Seniors Forums in the future. If you wish to attend any future forums, please contact my office to register your interest.