There are many people who go above and beyond in our community and their work often goes unnoticed. As part of my annual Winter Warmer, I present Community Recognition Awards to acknowledge these people who make a big difference in our community.
I like to recognise and thank these people because it is often the lesser known contributions that make the biggest difference to the lives of others.
This year we had a high standard of nominations, which just goes to show that there are so many in our community who work tirelessly for others and give back to our great community.
This year’s winners are:
- Ligita Bligzna and John and Wendy Cobb for playing a significant role in protecting and promoting the rate hooded plovers on Seacliff Beach
- Anthea Williams, a tireless volunteer on the CHB Environmental Team. Anthea is regularly spotted weeding and picking up litter in the sand dunes along Brighton and Seacliff
- Tim Voss for his dedication and commitment to the establishment of the Brighton Pump Track
- Bill Heycox, a wonderful local who brought joy to thousands of people over the years with his Christmas lights display as a way to raise funds for the Royal Flying Doctors Service
- Jill Cunningham, Shirley Jenner, Lorraine Baker, and Erica Woolman. These women make up the Marion VIEW Club’s International Women’s Day Committee and have helped raise over $3,000 for The Smith Family.
Congratulations to each of these deserving members of our community! If you know someone who you thinks deserves to be recognised, be sure to nominate them for my 2020 Community Recognition Awards.